Re: [FW1] FW-1 and Websense, Rainwall Comments?

Title: RE: [FW1] FW-1 and Websense
My 2 cents on WebSense:

1) I am running WebSense Enterprise latest release for FW-1 and MSP.
2) I have had problems with WebSense Reporter and Dr. Watsons errors since DAY ONE with this product. What good is the product if you can't generate any reports?
3) I have installed reporter on SEVERAL different systems and they are ALL crashing in the same fashion. Yes, I am running the latest MDAC and the latest patch for Reporter. Everything is patched, I have tried clean O/S installs, it's some problem with ODBC, perhaps my SQL connector, and the Crystal engine in Reporter. It will connect to the wslogdb and during transfer of records, BOOM!.
4) I have sent several requests to WebSense for resolution/support of this problem and I have not heard ONE PEEP from this company. The last email I sent I mentioned that my company would be requesting a refund of our purchase price due to defective software and I still have heard nothing from them.
5) Not even 2 months after purchasing this >$5000 product, they decide to "break off" a piece of the previously filtered URI's and call it "Premium Group I" and ask me to send them thousands more dollars to enable filtering. How many more categories are we going to slice off into "Premium Groups" ????

From what I can tell, their support sucks (technical term), try their knowledge base.
They don't seem to care about their customers other than rakeing them over the coals for more money, and their product is BUSTED. I wouldn't be saying this if it weren't "my personal" experience with the product. Perhaps it is working for others, but for me it is broken on Windows2000.

I am about to switch to SurfControl or one of the other products, and I recommend you install and test these thoroughly instead of making purchasing decisons based on who is the market leader. Gather some data with WebSense for a month or two, then run every report in Reporter. See how many you can run before it crashes.

Gee, I wonder if they even monitor this list for unhappy customers or feedback on their products? Somehow I doubt it. A company looking to grow their business would certainly be well advised to listen to what their customers are saying, and let's face it.... most of the people around here on this mailing list are not complete knuckle draggers. How hard would it be to have support personnel monitor mailing lists of "competetive" products, websense integrated products, partners etc, specific newsgroups. etc...punch it all into a perl script and filter for "WEBSENSE" and find out what people are saying. Hey, why not reply to mail sent directly to mailto:[email protected], there's a start.

The rainwall and stonebeat guys pay attention to feedback here, so do a lot of other vendors apparently.

btw, I am about to do some testing with Rainwall-E and ISL trunked VLANs which apparently is untested at this time. Might be interesting to see how it works out. If it works well, probably gonna purchase this product. Has anyone here used the Rainwall product and have any positive/negative comments about it? I will have routers adjacent the firewall with equal cost pathing and so the loadbalancing should be fine with the VIP arrangement.

I am not looking for "stonebeat is better than rainwall" or vice versa or any Marketechture info, I am looking for feedback on experience with the product...problems you had, etc.