[FW-1] Securemote 4.1 issues

I'm having some problems with VPN-1 Secureclient 4.1 3-des build 4200. Its
talking to the 4.1 firewall successfully, downloads and updates the
keys/encryption domain properly, asks for username/password when i try to
access a subnet in the encrypted_zone, however when it attempts to
"exchanging keys with a firewall" it always returns with the following error
message

Error: No answer received from a firewall at site XX.XX.XX.XX. If this
problem persists, please contact your system administrator.

Whats most odd is i get *NOTHING* in the log viewer.. i've even gone through
the Main properties and turned on any extra logging i find. Still no
indication of whats actually wrong.

The main firewall module is running
# fw ver -k
This is Check Point VPN-1(TM) & FireWall-1(R) Version 4.1 Build 41624 [VPN +
DES + STRONG]
kernel: Version 4.1 [VPN + DES + STRONG] Build 41512

Licensing is all good, we are replacing an older VPN-1 box with newer
hardware, the great 2003 blackout knocked the old one around and its become
unstable.. I can't get into it with the gui to compare rulesets/settings,
for now its barely running and we need to get this new box in to replace it.

I have the core VPN rule as follows, and for testing purposes so far i have
NO OTHER RULES IN THE RULESET.

Source          Destination             Service Action          Track           Install On
VPN_USERS@any   Encrypted_zone  Any             Client Encrypt  Long            Gateways

*Note- Client Encrypt i've tryd ignore and intersect with the database, the
same error is produced.

The Encrypted_zone is several subnets behind the VPN that we wish to allow
access too.

The firewall object is marked as a VPN-1/FW1 4.1, Internal, Gateway,
Management Station.
the proper IP's and subnets (external first). The VPN page has the same
"encrypted_zone" object used in the rule above using only FWZ, and
encapsulation is checked after the Key manager/DH key page. The
Authentication page is set to use the VPN-1/FW-1 Password only. No Certs or
Nating, SNMP is disabled.

my test user is in the VPN_USERS group, and the user database has been
pushed to the firewall.

>From what i understand, and the documentation i've located on the net,
everything appears to be setup correctly.. the securemote client, pops up
and asks for the password for any of the subnets in the encrypted_zone, i've
updated it regularly if the encrypted_zone has changed. Just no go.

If you have any advice or suggestions i'm all ears.

-Tim