Re: [FW-1] Cisco VPN Device and FW-1

There are a few different flavors of 'Cisco VPN solution' out there and
while they all have commonalities, they also have differences.  If you have
a situation on your hands that isn't working, your first item to attack is
finding out exactly what you're talking to on the other side:  not only what
Cisco hardware platform, but what version of IOS software (or whatever
'firmware' applies) the other side is running on that Cisco.

For example, talking to a Cisco router isn't quite the same as talking to a
PIX.  And then the PIX questions can vary based on version.  Neither one of
the two is the same as talking to a Cisco 3000 VPN Concentrator, and then it
also depends on what version of the concentrator software they're running.
Blah blah blah.

With all that said, I've set up FW-1 to talk to a few different Cisco
devices.  What I usually run into comes in one of the following flavors:

(a) The Cisco is just plain more picky (and specific) than the Checkpoint
when it comes to encryption settings and such.  This is a pain for the
Checkpoint 4.1 user because there's a bunch of stuff that you can't control
*or* see through the GUI, particularly with regard to the details of using
Perfect Forward Secrecy. In my book, it's a good thing that the Cisco is
more specific but if you're the Checkpoint guy, you're essentially dependent
upon the Cisco guy and his debug traces to tell you what the frick it
doesn't like about you. :(

(b) Cisco VPN admins often don't understand much more about VPNs than, well,
VPN admins for any other firewall.  Nine times out of ten they figure out
how to get a specific something to work, and BAM, there's the config.  The
trouble with this approach on a Cisco device using a command-line interface
is that certain parameters are global in scope, while others are 'local'
(i.e., unique to a given VPN need).  Very often when the Cisco novice goes
looking for info on how to get X to work, they find their answer in
configuration examples that have him shifting top-level config around.  So
you come along 6 months later and... the global settings that made that VPN
work keep yours from working at all.  To fix it, not only do you have to
figure out *your* VPN with them, someone has to figure out *their* VPN with
some other guy, and how to tweak it into a VPN-unique config that sits
alongside yours rather than overriding it.  A common issue is to have your
fw-to-fw VPN conflict with settings for their fw-to-dialin-user VPN that
assigns IP addresses dynamically.  Either way, you're dependent upon the guy
on the Cisco side.  Incidentally, I don't think this is a 'flaw' in the
Cisco setup-- it's simply administered (usually) in a more advanced fashion
than a friendly GUI, and that means its administrative complexity is up by
something like an order of magnitude.  So these things just happen and you
have to figure them out.

(3) Sometimes you get issues on the Cisco end due to the device being loaded
up too much.  Obviously this is only going to be germane if you're talking
about lower-end Cisco devices or devices that are specifically stuffed to
the gills doing too much work for the platform.  Also, this should only show
up after the VPN is actually up (and then you figure out that performance
bites).  But it's something to be aware of nevertheless.  Again, this isn't
a Cisco issue so much as a question of pilot error.  I would never climb
into a glider and expect it to haul the capacity of a 747 on the simple
grounds that both devices fly.  But business constraints have a way of
pushing expensive (Cisco!) devices into situations where maximum tolerances
have been exceeded.

For your situation, I'd (1) find out what you're talking to, hardware and
software-wise, and (2) start digging into what their config is-- if they're
willing, have them email it to you, stripped of passwords and other
security-critical data.  You can then dig up whatever you need between
Google and the Cisco website, which actually has some good example scenarios
for talking to FW-1 from particular Cisco boxes.

Oh yeah-- one other thing.  If it's a Cisco 3000 VPN Concentrator running
software version 3.1 (maybe 3.x), be warned that in its GUI the term "IPSec"
is used in some instances to refer specifically to Phase 2 negotiation
parameters, and in other instances it actually refers to Phase 1 parameters
or Phases 1 and 2 combined.  Obviously, no amount of technical
troubleshooting was going to dig that up-- I just got lucky and found an
inconsistency in the Concentrator's online help to tell me that what I was
reading might not really mean what it said.

Good luck...