[FW-1] NG FP2 Mail Problem

I am new to this list, so hopefully not rehashing old material.  Anyway,
upgraded to FP2 and now
have the esmtp problem of rejecting email without the < > brackets
around the to: and from: field
in the mail address.  FP2 is supposed to be enforcing rfc821 and rfc822
that is causing this and all
mail servers that aren't compliant are being affected.  For us, this is
a lot.  I have been working with
Checkpoint tech support for the past few weeks, but they are still
asking the usual questions and don't
seem to have a fix.  I've heard rumors of a patch but can't find one.
Anyone else experience this?
Any ideas for a fix?  I have edited the .C file and changed the
following entries with no luck.
:smtp_rfc821 (false) and :smtp_rfc822 (false).  Thanks.