Re: [FW1] Backup firewall?

We use this method succesfully.
I copy over the conf and lib dirs.
To ensure that I have an up to date config, I tar up the above dirs plus
startup files for routing/arps etc. on a nightly basis from cron (that is
for UNIX users).

I also SSH them to a safe location on another system.

The above process if fully automatic and has saved my a$$ on more than one
occaision.

The files just need to be copied to the relevent locations on the new
system and all woks fine.

Please note the above assumes IDENTICAL backup hardware, and was done on
Solaris, dunno anout NT

Phil

<snip>
Hi all,
     I have been asked by management to setup a backup Firewall server
just in case the production firewall server goes down. I have FirewalI-1
4.0
SP6 running and have VPN connection to a remote Firewall-1 server in
another
office. I planned to install the same version of Firewall-1 on a new
server,
then copy over the rules and license keys from the exisiting firewall. Will
this work? I had a look at the archives and noticed that people use
Stonebeat for failover...is this something I have to buy? I would like to
have a simple solution, it doesn't have to be automatic failover as I am
quite happen to just turn the backup machine on when the old one dies and
hopefully it will resume action. I would appreciate any comments on this
subject especially from those who have done this. Thanks.

Regards,
Tim
</snip>