Re: [FW1] FW1 & Sun Hardware Recommendations please

Greetings!

stcost - Steve Costaras schrieb:

> Actually if you are building out a new system I would
> go with a 280R.  It handles (4) PCI cards which could all
> be quads plus has the faster speed processors which will help
> for heavily loaded systems.

The 280R shares the same bus topology as the 220R  (basically is a beefed-up
220R), so I won't recommend more than 2 fully-loaded QFEs.  It has 4 PCI slots -
but only two PCI buses. A single QFE  (* 4 NIC * 100Mbit/s * 2 (duplex) = 800
Mbit/s) can give enough traffic to saturate a PCI bus - and unluckily the
E220R/E280R's double-speed PCI bus only has a single slot...

The 280R is about twice as expensive as the 220R - but could be a choice when
heavy VPN load is wanted.  But then you might want to have a look into one
equipped with two CPUs and maybe VPN accelerator cards.

Bye
    Volker

--

Volker Tanger  <[email protected]>