From: Volker Tanger [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2001 05:09
To: Chris F
Cc: Firewall One List
Subject: Re: [FW1] FW1 & Sun Hardware Recommendations please

Greetings!

Chris F schrieb:

> I looking at a dual CPU SUN box capable of handling 2
> QEF cards in addition to it's built in NIC (hme).

I think one of the E220R/E420R or E250/E450 lot should be of interest to
you. While
the U5/10/60/80 or Blade workstations may seem of interest to you they
either do not
support a Solaris on which FW-1 is running (the Blades only come with
Solaris 8) or
are similarily priced, have better graphics but lack server qualities
(rackmountable, additional power supplies, servability, hotswappable
harddiscs).

If you only need that many interfaces but only have low traffic (e.g.
10Mbit/s for
each interface) throughput, an U5 might be sufficient. It has two PCI slots
- plus
one for "emergency" use (documentation says three slots). The U5's pizzabox
has a
design flaw where the third slot shares its space with the motherboard power
connectors so a PCI card suffers sideways pressure - not good.

For high throuput take one of the E220R/E420R or E450 lot - they have
multiple PCI
busses so at least the firewall is not limited/hampered by PCI bus
limitations: max.
bus throughput is a single, fully loaded QFE...

Bye
    Volker

--

Volker Tanger  <[email protected]>