Re: [FW1] Rulebase optimization

I saw some basic guidelines on phoneboy.

This is kind of touchy feely, because it will depend on your hardware,
platform, the rules themselves, etc.

A good rule of thumb is to keep # of rules around 50 or less. Put
high-hitting rules at the top (phoneboy says he likes to put inbound rules
first, but if this firewall does mostly outbound traffic, it would make
more sense to put those first.. it depends on what you are doing with the
firewall).

I personally try to imlplement a similar "look & feel" to my firewalls
(esp. when it's multiple units).

 - Access b/t firewalls (when HA)
 - Admin access (for FW admins and OS admins)
 - Any monitoring of the firewalls (like Tivoli, or some other monitoring
   that needs either ICMP or SNMP to the firewall... I know... I am
   forced against my will to allow this access sometimes)
 - VPN & User Auth rules (because they need to interface with the FW
   directly in some way or another.
 - Stealth Rule
 - Inbound/Outbound rules depending on core function of FW... look at what
   this FW is doing.. if it's doing NAT for 100K clients, then maybe
   allowing either the clients or their http proxies early would be a good
   idea
 - Clean-up Rule

Carric Dooley
Senior Consultant