Re: [FW1] Maximum Throughput? - 1 GBit/s required

I intend to install a cluster (using StoneBeat FullCluster) that will need
to scale over 1Gb/s in the future.  Based on the data on checkpoints site
(refrenced below) I have chosen to use Dual Xeon Linux boxes from VALinux.
I'll be starting with 4 FW's which theoreticly should be capable of over
800Mb/s

Choose a clustering technology that you are comfortable with, and a system
architecture and buy enough to handle your load +1.

Chipper

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Volker Tanger wrote:

>Greetings!
>
>Daniel Wirth wrote:
>
>> for a project, we need to know the maximum throughput. Let's say we need 1
>> GB/s per Node in a cluster. Is anyone experienced with such a bandwidth?
>
>> What kind of hardware is to be used? I think of a Sun Enterprise 450 with 4
>> CPUs or one of those new UltraSparc III machines.
>
>As the filter module of Ckeckpoint's Firewall-1 runs in kernel-mode you won't
>benefit from multiple CPUs - except if you are using security servers or encryption.
>
>According to Ckeckpoint's performance brief
>(http://www.checkpoint.com/products/firewall-1/pbrief.html) it does not seem likely
>to reache the 1Gbit/s throughput you need.
>
>Bye
>    Volker
>

>--
>
>Volker Tanger  <[email protected]>
>Sr. Security Engineer  Tel. +49-69-92901-570
>Global One
>  Global Security
>    Global Service Engineering

------