From: Firewall Admin [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2000 11:19 AM
To: fw1 mailinglist
Subject: [FW1] Install Security Policy - No Response from Server

I have a FW1 v4.0 sp3 management console and unlimited enterprise
firewall modules running on separate Sun Sparc Ultra 10 servers
under Solaris 2.6.  Everything has been running fine for a couple of
years until recently when my FW1 v4.0 sp3 Windows GUI (build 4058)
has been giving me "No Response from Server" error messages whenever
I try to install a new policy.  When I select the Install Policy button
the objects get saved very quickly, but the Saving Rules takes a very
long time and finally results in the "No Response from Server" dialog
box.  The application displays a "Save completed successfully" message
at the bottom of the window.  However I soon get a "Incorrect Reply
from Server (seq or subject mismatch)" dialog box.

A search of the mailinglist archive shows a number of users reporting
the same problem on NT servers.  The recommendation has been to stop
using the DNS service and use a local hosts file.  My problem is that
this I am using a Sun Solaris firewall and management station, and a
DNS resolver has *always* been in use on the management station.

Any idea what the problem is and why would it just now start acting up?

Thanks,