RE: [FW1] Install Security Policy - No Response from Server

> years until recently when my FW1 v4.0 sp3 Windows GUI (build 4058)
> has been giving me "No Response from Server" error messages whenever
> I try to install a new policy.  When I select the Install

  We've had the same situation here. It's simply that the
rule base is so complex that it takes more than 15 seconds
for your firewall to process and save them. If you look
at the fw processes you will (at least on Solaris) see that
the process that serves you is using 100% cpu while the
save is taking place.
  The easiest solution is to _not_ touch the 'No response from
server' message box for 10-15 seconds to give the server
time to completely process the rule base. Then, when you press
OK, the normal 'install on...' box will appear.
  The slightly more compex solution is to follow this advice
from CP:

---
Solution:
How to extend the timeout between the Windows / Motif GUI and FWM ()
The default GUI timeout for communication between the GUI and FWM is 15
seconds. If this is not enough time, the timeout can be extended in the
following way:

On UNIX - define the environment variable SERVER_TIMEOUT and give it an
appropriate value in seconds. An easy way of doing this is by inserting the
setenv command into the "fwpolicy" script, before the line that runs fwui.

On NT - Use regedt32, path
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/CheckPoint/FireWall-1. Create a variable
"ServerTimeout" of type REG_DWORD, and give it an appropriate value in
seconds.
------

/Kristian