RE: [FW1] gateway connected to both endpoints scheme

It sounds to me like your encryption domains are overlapping.  Encryption
Domains are used to specify hosts which reside behind each firewall.  If
each firewall has access to domain_1 and domain_2 on one of it's internal
interfaces, then encrypting traffic isn't necessary since each firewall can
access those hosts locally already.  If each firewall has only one domain on
it's internal interfaces, only those domains which are internal (relative to
that firewall) should be in it's encryption domain.

For example, suppose you have;
Domain_1  <--->  Firewall_1 <---Internet---> Firewall_2 <---> Domain_2
Then Firewall_1's encryption domain should be Domain_1, and Firewall_2
should have Domain_2 as it's encyption domain.

On the other hand if you have;
  	   Internet
	/	       \
 Firewall_1      Firewall_2
  Domain_1 /   \ Domain_2
Then each firewall can communicate directly with each domain without
encrypting traffic, so there's no need for the encrypt rules.

If you have the first layout, you'll need to modify your encryption domains.
If you have the second, then there's really no need for the firewalls to do
encryption.

Let me know if I can clarify further.