Re: [FW-1] Question About Upgrade Procedure

  • To: [email protected]
  • Subject: Re: [FW-1] Question About Upgrade Procedure
  • From: Wally Hughes <[email protected]>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 05:15:29 -0700
  • Comments: cc: [email protected]
  • Sender: Mailing list for discussion of Firewall-1 <[email protected]>

Sandra,
The method I used when doing something
similar (FW1-4.1 on HPUX) was to create the new
environment completely on first a test network, then
we had the luxury moving to a new
network (different internet IPs and intranet IPs).
So, there were no conflicts with hostnames, IP
addresses, etc.
Also, in doing the merging of the object files
I ended up having to delete the old firewall
objects and create new ones anyway. The new
firewall object of course will be a different
release and you'll use a different method
to ensure communication (not fwputlic) between
the management server and enforement point.
Also had some problems/issues with checkpoint's
procedures for doing all this and spent alot
of time on the phone with support with Nokia.
If possible, you'd be better off to recreate
the objects and policy. If there are too many
objects, then do the merge for that, but
definitely recreate the policy files anew (from the
new
gui, which I think is what you mentioned below).

Wally Hughes
--- Sandra Iveth Amador Garcia

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com