[FW-1] SMTP Security Server - General Questions

Title: Message
I just have some quick questions about SMTP & Firwall-1.

Right now my mail server is nat'd by the firewall and only SMTP traffic is allowed.  If I wanted to use the SMTP Security Server to scan mail would I be better off:

1. Removing NAT address & DNS for mail server & creating an MX record that points all mail to firewall's external interface.  Create an SMTP resource that directs all inbound SMTP to my mailserver & create a rule that allows my mail server to send outbound SMTP.

OR

2. Leave my MX records & NAT alone and just let Firewall-1 intercept the messages.

If I go with #2 is there any reason for the mail server to be publicly accessible anymore?

Thanks for the help.

- Adam