[FW-1] Problem with SMTP resource

When I send an email outside, the trace mail indicates that the email has
reached the destination's SMTP server. However, it never reaches the
destination and seems to come back and the MTA tries to send it again.

I have defined an outgoing SMTP resource on the firewall and the policy is:
source         destination    service         action
mtaserver any       smtp_outgoing  accept

The log of the mta server :
2002/08/09 16:57:25   SMTP Server: 10.X.X.X connected
2002/08/09 16:57:26   SMTP Server: Message 002BB601 received
2002/08/09 16:57:26   SMTP Server: 10.X.X.X disconnected. 1 message[s] received
2002/08/09 16:57:27   Router: Message 002BB471 transferred to smtp.USA.com for [email protected] via SMTP
2002/08/09 16:57:28   Router: Transferring mail to domain USA.COM (host smtp.USA.COM [X.X.X.X]) via SMTP
2002/08/09 16:57:28   Router: Transferred 1 messages to USA.COM (host smtp.USA.COM) via SMTP

This never ends.

The firewall logs look like :
source         destination         service
mtaserver smtp.usa.com        smtp
mtaserver mtaserver      smtp

I don't understand this second line.

On the other hand if I change the firewall-1 security policy not to use the
outgoing resource; like this:
source         destination    service         action
mtaserver any       smtp      accept

Then it works and the firewall log looks like:
source         destination         service         XlateSrc
XlateDest
mtaserver smtp.usa.com        smtp       mtaserver (Valid Address)
smtp.usa.com
mtaserver smtp.usa.com        smtp       mtaserver (Valid Address)
smtp.usa.com

I guess the problem is the definition of the SMTP outgoing resource.

Any ideas?  Is a mail relay necessary for the Firewall-1 SMTP Security
Server to be able to forward the emails?

Thanks,
Kim