Re: [FW1] RE: Nokia/Check Point

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 12:22:27PM -0700, Mark Decker wrote:
: Beware of rumors, but I do know that Nokia's "exclusive" appliance deal
: with CP is no longer exclusive.  Previously, CP used to resell Nokia
: boxes, and Nokia got special terms to resell CP licenses.  That contract
: expired in January, and CP has removed the Nokia boxes from their price
: list.

Let's see, each vendor realized that they were much better at selling
their own products than the other guy's stuff, so they fixed it.  Yeah,
that sounds terrible.  Wake up.  You forgot to mention that Nokia and
CP signed a 2-year agreement when the last agreement expired.  As a
rule, CP never signs anything longer than one year.

: Now that the special deal is defunct, anyone can manufacture CP-based
: FW-1/VPN-1 appliances on a level playing field with Nokia through the
: new OPSEC appliance program.  Compaq has already entered the fray with
: their SolutionPaq offering, and other major vendors are planning to do
: the same.  Nokia will suddenly have a lot of serious competition later
: this year.

A lot of competition?  From Compaq?  A Compaq pre-sales engineer shared
with me that a packed-out DL320 (what they sell as the SolutionPaq)
does about 90 Mbps in FW1 performance tests.  It only costs about 15% less
than an IP330, but with the IP330 testing at 130 Mbps is nearly 50%
faster than the DL320.  Oh by the way, the DL320 has a 1Ghz P-III to
match up against then AMD K6-2/400...

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.
                    My account, My opinions.