Re: [FW1] any

Here's the lowdown:

any ~~> DMZ1 ~~> any ~~> accept

The purpose of this rule is to allow any traffic to another firewall hosted by
another part of our internal organization(DMZ1).  They are on a completely
different network that is managed by this interface on my fw.
Previous to our 4.1 sp3 (solaris) upgrade, we had to have two rules; one to
allow anything to their firewall, and one to allow ipsec to their firewall,
because the "all" in 4.0 was not "all" encompassing.  So, with a little more
detail, my question is can I use one rule that will allow "all" including ipsec
to pass through the firewall to DMZ1?

Casey DeBerry
[email protected]

Juan Concepcion wrote:

> Jarrett,
>
>         In the case of say a client sitting behind a firewall talking to
> another client sitting on the other side of that firewall the IPSEC (ike,
> esp, ah) are not covered by the ANY but have to be explicitly defined in
> the rule to be allowed.  Also if you are configuring this type of
> communication you have to configure it bi-directionally, in other words you
> need two rules.  One allows the client to talk to the resource and the
> other allows the resource to talk back to the client.
> --
> Juan Concepcion
> Network Security Consultant
> CCSA/CCSE Certified
> [email protected]
>
> On 2001.06.03 14:04 "Goetz, Jarrett" wrote:
> > I am not positive what you are asking, but if I am understanding you
> > clearly, as long as your encryption rule is configured properly in terms
> > of
> > the action (i.e. client encrypt, encrypt, etc.) then yes, from what I
> > understand those services would be "included" so to speak if you put ANY
> > in
> > the service column.
> >
> > Always keep in mind, ANY in your rulebase is not a good thing :), from a
> > security perspective your best off to strive to keep the amount of ANY's
> > in
> > your rulebase to a minimum.
> >
> > Jarrett

begin:vcard
n:DeBerry;Casey
tel;cell:tel;fax:tel;work:x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Navidec Inc.;Operations
version:2.1
email;internet:[email protected]
title:Security Engineer
adr;quoted-printable:;;6399 S. Fiddlers Green Circle=0D=0A#300;Greenwood Village;Colorado;80111;USA
fn:Casey DeBerry
end:vcard