From: Elaine Lolos
To: [email protected]
Sent: 5/17/01 7:18 PM
Subject: [FW1] encryption domain for external networks?

Hello,

I am hoping someone on the list can help me out with a question I have
regarding encryption domains and VPNs.

Currently I have a pretty standard configuration in that I have two
checkpoint firewalls (v4.0) at different sites, and a VPN between them.
Each firewall object has as its encryption domain the internal network
behind that firewall (really a group of internal networks).  Then there
are the policy rules defined between the two encryption domains.
Everything works fine and dandy.

Both firewalls allow some incoming access from the outside to hosts on
their internal networks (say for smtp and https servers), and those
objects have valid external NAT addresses defined for them.  This all
works well and good also.

Let's call these two firewalls Firewall A and Firewall B.

Now for reasons not worth explaining, there is a host on the internal
network behind Firewall B that I want to allow traffic from the outside
for BUT I want to receive that incoming traffic at firewall A, and NAT
for it there.

Kind of looks like this:

outside client ---> FwA ---------via vpn-------- FwB -----> inside
server

The valid external address for this server, is an external address valid
at Firewall A's external network.

Right now my policy rules allow:

    SRC: FwA-encryption-domain   DEST: FwB-encryption-domain
ACTION:Encrypt

The outside client could be any external address.  How can I change the
encryption domain of FirewallA to be "anything" and not just what it is
now (which is the internal network).

Is this possible??  Am I approaching this correctly, or is there another
method to accomplish what I am trying to do?

I am running my firewalls on Solaris, by the way.

Any information would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you.
Elaine