RE: [FW1] Problem with Websense & Checkpoint

Title: RE: [FW1] Problem with Websense & Checkpoint

Yes we have seen this. In most cases it is the HTTP security server that is causing the Firewall to slow down. Do you see the in.ahttpd deamon taking lots of CPU resources on your Firewall ? If so, then the sec. server is most likely the issue.

We highly recommend that you upgrade to Websense V 4.2.4 with FW-1 SP3. The reason for this is that the new UFP version is supported. The new UFP includes a feature called "UFP Caching" which uses the inspection module for processing instead of the sec. server. This has proved to be more scaleable as inspection is done in kernel space as opposed to a process.

For more details on UFP caching check our website here: http://www.websense.com/support/documentation/index.cfm

The docs is called Firewall-1 setup guide addendum.

Let me know if you need more help on this.

Currently having a problem with Websense v3.1 & Checkpoint Fw4.1/SP2
The Websense is on a NT4 box, the FW4.1 is on Solaris (Both OS with latest
patches/ServicePacks)

Over a period of a couple of days I begin to lose resources on the Unix box
to the point I either have to reboot the box or disable the http scan
rule..I've had outside consultants in to take a look at it & evidently this
is a known problem with these 2 products..At this time I cannot go to
another http scan solution (for probably 3 months)...Has anyone out there
seen this & if so, is there a solution (other than tossing Webense or
upgrading Websense)?

Thanks in advance,

Larry Milliken
USLEC