RE: Re: [FW1] OT: harden solaris

I am not sure what Alexander means by "Both of these can easily be implemented in the secure driver for jass-0.2" but in my shop after the OS has been installed we move the files you mention, and a few others into a directory called /rootonly or /tools and then set permissions so that only root (user and/or group GID 0) can access the directory.

Using staticly linked binaries is also an excellent idea, and one that we use here.

The only time there is a problem is when someone changes the root password without telling everyone. :-)

>To: "Hartmann, Josef" <[email protected]>
>Cc: [email protected]
>Subject: Re: [FW1] OT: harden solaris
>From: Alexander Hoogerhuis <[email protected]>
>Date: 17 Apr 2001 00:04:54 +0200
>

>As far as I know Soalris 2.[678] doesn't support mouting any kind of
>loopback fs. Feel free to flame me if I am very wrong on this
>point. :)
>
>Apart from that, there are two ways to this that should be acceptably
>secure:
>
>a) use something like /usr/local/bin owned by root:sys with r-x for
>owner only, and have statically linked binaries of whatever you need
>in here.
>
>b) (my favourite) Always have /root as homedir for root and owned by
>root:sys, and permissions rwx for owner only. Under here you have your
>own /root/bin, again with things statically linked so there are no
>external dependencies.
>
>Both of these assume it is only root that needs to execute these
>commands, but it could be modified by using a group in the
>/usr/local/bin case to include more users.
>
>Both of these can easily be implemented in the secure driver for
>jass-0.2 and quite possibly any other way of installing the machine.
>
>cheers,
>Alexander
>
>"Hartmann, Josef" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> thinking about harden solaris but still having a few tools like gzip, snoop
>> etc. I am questioning if solaris can mount an encrypted file using loopback
>> device?
>>

>> Thanks
>> Josef

Email account furnished courtesy of AntiOnline - http://www.AntiOnline.com
AntiOnline - The Internet's Information Security Super Center!

Limited Time Offer:  FREE Products! Pay only shipping and handling.
Get FREE Software, CDR's, Cellular Accessories, Videos, DVD's, Music,
Injet Refills and much more.
Only when you click here now - - > http://www.free-irewards.com/cgi-bin/bmb2