[FW1] Monitored Circuit Configuration on Nokia

Well, this isn't an absolute guide, but a basic so you can get monitored
circuit working correctly.  This example assumes that you're using two
firewalls that are mirror images of each other...:

1) Count the # of interfaces with VIRTUAL addresses that you plan to use
(i'll use 6 for our example).  Make sure your delta is higher than this
number.  I'm going to assume you are using fewer than 14 interfaces. ;-)
2) For each interface with a VIRTUAL address, check the 'monitored
circuit' radio buton, and then apply the page.
3) Define a router ID for each virtual address.  Note:  This ID *MUST* be
unique per network segment.  This router id is used to generate the MAC
address for the virtual address.  This address will be 0:0:5e:0:1:xx where
xx is the hex value of the router ID#.  This is WHY you can't have more
than 1 set of firewalls sharing a VRID on a single network segment,
otherwise they'll BOTH try to pick up and forward the packets.  In fact,
we found a problem when we shared a VRID# that forwarding didn't work
correctly, and two firewalls on the same management station both received
the same packet - one accepted, one dropped.  got confusing in the logs.
;-)
4) Once this is done, simply multiply your # of interfaces by something
like 15 and add some number.  This also must be less than 255 (it's a one
byte field).  I recommend adding something like 15.  With the 6 interface
example, my primary's priority will be 100.  Fill out the field per
interface with the virtual address, the primary's priority, and a hello
interval of 1 (failover within 3 missed hellos, or 3 seconds).  For the
secondary, its priority should be somewhat less than the primary's, and
higher than a single interface's delta.  Remember the multiply by 15
earlier?  That's the delta we'll use, and the priority for the secondary
should be higher than this, let's use 95.  If you're using more than 15
interfaces, 15*15 is higher than 255, so you may need to add a 'negative'
number to drop the highest end to less than 255.  What this will do when
they all subtract from your priority I don't know. =-)
5) for each monitored interface, let's use a delta of 15, and select one
of the other monitored interfaces (i.e. interfaces 4 on 3, 3 on 4, 3 on 5,
3 on 6, 3 on 7, 3 on 8), then apply.  For the secondary, you cannot use 0
as a delta, use 1, but do the same thing.
6) apply each other monitored interface to each monitored interface with
the appropriate deltas.  When any interface on the firewall goes down,
since every other interface monitors the one that went down, they'll
cascade shutdown, meaning NONE of your monitored interfaces will be 'up'
in the priority calculation, resulting in a value of 10.  Then, the
secondary will have a higher priority, and will take over the virtual
addresses.  This is how it should work.  So interface 3 should end up
monitoring 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.  and so on.
Don't forget to add a firewall rule to allow multicast traffic from all
physical and virtual addresses to talk to 224.0.0.18 with a service type
other named VRRP with a match of:  ip_p=0x70.
7) Then click on the "VRRP monitor" link at the bottom of the VRRP page.
The primary should be ALL master, and the secondary should be ALL backup.
If any don't match correctly on the secondary, those interfaces can't
communicate.  Try pinging the physicals between them to make sure they
work.  If it all works, you can 'bounce' the nokia, and the other one will
pick it up in 3 seconds.  If you IF down an interface, it will fail all
over to the other machine.  We've had some problems with FW1 working right
after doing this though.

Oh, one other important thing, remember you CANNOT ping or talk to the
virtual at all, but you will see its entry in your ARP tables on other
systems, and if it's working right, the packets will pass through.  i.e.
you can ping through it, telnet through it, whatever your rules allow.

Hope this helps. :-)

Mark Hall    <><
CheckPoint Certified Security Engineer
Certified AIX System Administrator

Mailstop S306 2182
IBM Global Services - Network Services
325 J.S. McDonnell Boulevard
Hazelwood, MO 63042
Voice:Fax:This message contains an average of 73% post-consumer electrons.