[FW1] SecuRemote v4.1 SP2 (Bld4165)

To all:

    I have the following question:

        Is it possible to have a user authenticate via SecurID to download the topology using SecuRemote Hybrid mode for IKE?

        I have the following config:

        Two Nokia IP650s running Nokia IPSO 3.3 with CheckPoint 4.1 SP2.
        1 Sun Ultra-2 running Solaris 2.6 and CheckPoint FW-1 4.1 SP2 (Management station).

        For testing I have created a group called test_vpn and added one internal machine to it. I have modified the primary FW object and added this group as the encryption domain (FW -> VPN tab -> Domain). I have checked the box for exportable for SecuRemote. I have checked IKE under the "Encryption Schemes defined" and if you edit IKE the following are set:

        CAST,3DES,MD5,SHA1,VPN-1 & FireWall-1 authentication for SecuRemote (Hybid Mode), Supports aggresive mode, Support keys exchange for subnets. Pre-shared secret and public key signature boxes are not set.

        I have created a user (for this example named tvpn) with the authentication set to SecurID (User Properties -> Authentication tab). In User Properties -> Encryption tab under "Client Encryption methods" IKE is checked (FWZ is not). If you go to "Edit" the IKE properties I have unchecked the Password and Public Key boxes; under the Encryption tab (for IKE) I have left everything as the default (Encryption + Data Integrity (ESP), SHA1, 3DES).

        I have added a rule to my rulebase that reads as the following:

Src                    Dst                    Service        Action                    Track
tvpn@Any          primary FW        FW1_topo    Client Encrypt        Acct.

FW1_topo is the default service defined for port 264.

Number 1 is the PC that I am trying to test on is on a DSL circuit using DHCP and NAT using EnterNet300 (Amertech stuff) which seems to run fine. I can get out to the Internet including our site without any problems.

Number 2: When entering the site info. I enter the external IP addr. of the primary FW (I currently do know if it makes a difference whether you use the external addr. of the FW or use the addr. of the Mgmt. station); when I am prompted to enter a username/password (when the SecuRemote pop-up) comes up I enter the tvpn username that I set up for testing along with the PIN/number in SecurID.

I see the entry in the FW logs but on the DSL PC I get a pop-up indicating Authentication failed. In the FW logs the first thing that I notice is that the entry is logged by rule 0 and not against the Client Encrypt rule for the Topology download. In the info field I get a reason of:

Refused Topology request. Authentication scheme not allowed for user.

I have also gone to the CheckPoint site a printed off the document dated September 6, 2000 titled "Hybrid Mode IKE for SecuRemote Authenication". I have followed the steps and set up the Internal CA without any problems.

Does what I am trying to do not work this way. Do I have to set up a dummy user to allow FW-1 password auth to download topologies and then set up another rule for the SecurID auth for the actual VPN?

Any insight to this would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

P.S. Sorry for the length but I am hoping that the detail will help the old lightbulb shine a little brighter. :) Right now I am a little miffed.