RE: [FW1] The information for users Firewall-1 for NT (complex ho tfix v6.23).

Igor,

What I really mean is that if people start distributing compacted security
patches, cracker/hacker, during the process, can append Trojan-like binaries
into it where innocent user may not notice.  What I am just saying is that
it is a good practice to ensure the integrity/creditability of
hotfixes/patches.

Many vendor releases software while posting a one-way hashes value so that
user can verify the integrity of each patch downloaded.  Microsoft is just
one vendor who didn't bother...

In terms of re-booting NT so many times...
If Microsoft had to release hotfixes in such a "difficult-to-manageable"
way, user is gonna to have to stick with it.

And Of course, all of these are of my own opinion and have nothing to do
with my employer.

Regards,

Matthew Tam
HP Consulting
Hewlett-Packard (Hong Kong) Limited

mailto: [email protected]
Tel: (852) 2599-7403
fax: (852) 2506-3592

p.s. further discussion of this shall go offline since it is getting out of
the scope of the checkpoint thread. :)