Re: [FW1] Create master rulebase from local

Christine,

My apologies. I misunderstood what you
meant by local.

To attempt a reversal would be painful. If you
have many firewalls, and they each protected
different networks, then the rules.C files would
be different. You probably could bring your world
back together, but it would take some work.

The differences between the object files are slight.
On mine, I found that a section was included on the
management station, but was empty on the firewall.

It took me a moment, but the reeason this section:

  :resourcesobj (resourcesobj)

was on the fw station object.C, was because at one
point I was experimenting with SMTP MIME stripping,
but never created a rule for it. So the mgt station
has the definition and the fw doesn't need it. Maybe for
efficiency??

The rules.C are the actula rules on the fw. If you have
a rulebase and some rules have an "Install On" target
that is different, then the fw will only receive the rules
applicable to it.

Your best bet is get a regular backup of the firewall
rulebase et'al. To protect yourself see:

http://www.phoneboy.com/fw1/faq/0196.html

You can use the following to move a mgt console
to another system. See:

http://www.phoneboy.com/fw1/faq/0397.html

Robert

"Robert MacDonald" <[email protected]> wrote:
>Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 12:45:04 -0500
>Do this.
>
>Start the GUI on your system. In the management server
>field type *local and give any old username and password
>you would like. Press enter.
>
>Voila(extent of my French) your in a local copy of a firewall
>policy. This allows you to play, play, play...err test, test, test.
>
>You can copy your real policy and objects to your local
>system and play with them. I don't have those off hand, see
>phoneboy. Make a copy of the local just in case.
>
>Is this what you wanted to know?

Uhh... what's that saying, knowledge is the slow realization of the
magnitude of one's ignorance?  I've never played with *local.
What's *local?  I just loaded a fresh version of 4.1, nothing's on
there yet.  fire up the gui, connect to localhost and I get a clean
slate, nothing written yet.  connect to *local and I get some funky
demo-like rulebase, next to the tabs for Security & NAT policy
I also get tabs for Bandwidth & Compression Policy, none of which I
installed.  Where did the gui get this?  the state directory where
all the local.* are kept is empty.

Anyway you've diverted me from the original question.  Which was, if
one day we reap the IT equivalent of karmic retribution & the management
server falls over for good, can I recreate its objects.C and all the
rulebase from what's on the firewalls?  (they are different boxes)
As far as I know, the firewall keeps a copy of the last good policy
installed, in state/local.fc, state/local.ojbects, etc.  There is also
a rules.C and objects.C in the firewall's $FWDIR/database directory.
Do I have enough?

Usual way:  master objects.C + rules.W => rules.pf => rules.fc

Can I go backward?  local.fc + local.rules.C + local.objects.C => rules.W

What's the difference between firewall copy of objects.C & master copy
of objects.C?  What's rules.C for?? This question is killing me!!

CT