Re: [FW1] Linux module issues for FW-1

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, Imre Kertesz wrote:

> Suffering from lack of documentation for the Linux installation
> requirements, I am attempting to troubleshoot my FW-1 installation on
> Mandrake Linux (Red Hat). The installation appears to be successful, but
> fwstart returns the error message:
>
> FireWall-1: Loading kernel module...
> fwstart: Loading fw-1 kernel module
> FW-1: insmod failed
>
> ..So I tried to insmod the fwmod.2.2.x.o module manually and get a slew
> of unresolved symbols as well as the error:
>
> mknod: wrong number of arguments
> Try `mknod --help' for more information.
> chmod: /dev/fw0: No such file or directory
> open: No such file or directory
>
> There appears to be a character device called /dev/fw0 that is created
> when the module is loaded but this isnt happening and all subsequent
> manipulation of this file are crashing. If any of these problems look
> familiar, please share the lore
>
> Thanks - I
>
> In examining the module loading process,

...your email seems to have been truncated.

Just a thought though, is your /dev/ partition mounted read-only? if so
that /might/ account for the inability to create the /dev/fw0 entry.

But that 'wrong number of arguments' worries me a bit.

-- Michael "Soruk" McConnell                       [Eridani Linux 6.3 Soon]
Eridani Linux  --  The Most Up-to-Date Red Hat-based Linux CDROMs Available
Email: [email protected]  http://www.eridani.co.uk   Fax: +44-8701-600807
           *** A tachyon? A gluon that's not quite dry. ***