RE: [FW1] Security Implications of using VNC Viewer /WinVNC

A brute force attack can be made on the password if you can gain access to
the password in the registry. Of course, if you have access to the registry,
many other things as possible too :)

>From an archived message on the VNC mailing mail
(http://www.uk.research.att.com/search.html):

<snip>
The registry entry is only encrypted to prevent it from being readable if
you happen to have it up on your screen in regedit for some reason, not to
provide security (that should be done using registry security under WinNT).
If you have access to the Windows machine then obviously you can change the
password, or decrypt it
<snip>

Ken McKinlay)
Extension 506