[FW1] Problem sendmail from the firewall itself

I am having a little problem in getting e-mails sent from the firewall to
users inside my network. E-mail from outside the company is received by
users without any problems, but if a mail message is initiated by the
firewall (such as an alert) I get the following message recorded by the
sendmail process on the firewall host and the e-mail doesn't reach me:

 553: mail.dy4.com. config error: mail loops back to me (MX problem?)
 [email protected] configuration error

If I add dy4.com to the /etc/mail/sendmail.cw file (as suggested as a
possible fix by sendmail.org FAQ), I get the error:

 550: [email protected]... Host unknown (name server dy4exsrv1: host not
found)

Now the host dy4exsrv1 is an internal NATted system with no DNS entry for
external use. It's IP address though is in the /etc/hosts file and the
nsswitch.conf file is set to do files then DNS for resolving.

I know I am missing something in the configuration, but I don't know what.
This problem has been going on for sometime according to the log files but
I've just inherited the nightmare of maintaining the firewall and other
InfoSec issues and I want to know what is going on or going wrong!

Thanks in advance,

Ken McKinlay)
Extension 506