[FW1] Using Nortel switches for VPN

Hi All,

Our management has decided to use Nortel Contivity 4500 Extranet Switches
for providing VPN. They will connect one side of the switch to a public
address outside of the firewall and the other switch will be connected
directly into our private network bypassing the firewall. We use Check Point
firewall on Nokia 650 platform and wanted to use it for VPN. The network
group decided on Nortel for its ability to support high number of
simultaneous connections (5000) where as, according to them checkpoint only
support few hundred and it is very costly due to per seat license.

My questions are
1. How secure is the Nortel box and what level of firewalling it provides.
2. Should we connect the Nortel box to a dmz off the firewall and let ipsec
pass. if so, do we need to do anything on the firewall other than allowing
specific ports and does it provide enough security?
3. Does checkpoint VNP solution only supports few hundred connections.

Thanks