Re: [FW1] CP4.1 / AIX4.3 - Intermittant WWW access problems

Is there a possiblity that someone in your network has accidently coded the
IP address of the default gateway on their PC?  This could cause the kind
of stuff your seeing.

Regards................Elliot

"Taylor, Mark I" <[email protected]> on 09/20/2000 11:20:46 AM

Please respond to "Taylor, Mark I" <[email protected]>

      <[email protected]>
cc:
Subject:  [FW1] CP4.1 / AIX4.3 - Intermittant WWW access problems

Greetings all,

Hoping someone can help with a problem being experienced.

Platform:

FW-1 Version 4.1, SP1 on AIX 4.3

Situation:

With random frequency, random users experience errors accessing web sites.
User A can get to a site, while User B sitting right next door cannot.
After
a few minutes, the situiation clears up but now User C can't get out.
There
appears to be no pattern, I've already checked for the following: loose
connection, bad port on hub, bad port on switch, checked the log and WWW
traffic is being passed. We put a sniffer on the line and nothing seems out
of place, and our ISP claims that they are not having problems. I'm tempted
to say it looks like a route flapping problem, but it seems to be related
the firewall itself. I say this as we have a backup firewall box, and when
we swap them out the problem seems to disappear. Pinging the affected site
returns "Request Timed Out", yet 10 minutes later it will work fine.

Any ideas?