[FW1] trouble installing new management console

OK, I have found myself in a rather difficult situation....

I am running fw1 on solaris2.6, v4.0. There are reason why we have not
upgraded to 4.1, which I will not go into, but suffice to say that the
fw module MUST be 4.0.

You are probably all aware of the problem checkpoint had with their CA.
Because of this, we had been running out 4.0 management console/gui
client (both win NT based) on interim eval licenses until we could be
issued with a proper license.

When this finally happened, the license we received ended up being for
4.1. After some small arguments with our reseller, they sent us the 4.1
media, with assurances there would be no compatability issues running a
4.1 management console with a 4.0 fw module.

The first problem arose when it became apparent when the license turned
out to be for an old IP address that was no longer part of the
infrastructure. So I fiddled with the infrastructure a bit to get around

that.

But when it came time to install the security policy from the new
management station, it just woundlt happen. I chekced the master/client
files, control.map on both machines and made sure the skeys were right.
I could even ping the firewall ok, but i kept getting 'connection timed
out' messages.

After speaking to sysadmin friend of mine, he told me that because of
the way fw-1 tries to be self aware of the system, the fact that I had
had to reconfigure the interfaces to match the new infrastructure had
probably broken the firewall.

What I would like to know is, am I able to reconfigre interface ip
numbers etc from what they were when the fw was installed? or will I
have to reinstall the whole fw module, or am I not doing something I
should be?

----
* Corch - Network Administrator *
* Information Sources Australia *