Re: [FW-1] AW: [FW-1] How to disable"local interface address spoofing" logg ing?

  • To: [email protected]
  • Subject: Re: [FW-1] AW: [FW-1] How to disable"local interface address spoofing" logg ing?
  • From: Matteo Masserini <[email protected]>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:32:50 +0200
  • Sender: Mailing list for discussion of Firewall-1 <[email protected]>

We think it might be due to the MSBlast that generates a d.o.s. attack to Windowsupdate site.
We suppose that probably someone set Windowsupdate=127.0.0.1 in the DNS to avoid the d.o.s. to this site and so:

- we have an infected host (207.88..yyy)
- the worm changes the last 2 octets of its address into 207.88.aaa.bbb and generates traffic to Windowsupdate (127.0.0.1:80)
- the infected host receives the packet on its loopback interface (127.0.0.1)
- as probably it is not a web server it sends a RST to 207.88.aaa.bbb

and generates drops on the firewall like the ones you saw yesterday.

Our problem is to remove these logs (we have milions, some hosts generate 200 logs/sec) while our customers remove the worm...

Regards.
matteo