Re: [FW-1] Broken connections with SQLServer through NAT

Guri,

1)  Is your web site using COM objects to access the database?
2)  If so, then are they "transaction based"?

If the answers to 1 & 2 are yes then you should look to setting the DCOM
port range on the SQL Server to a known value so that a correct &
appropriate ruleset can be applied for this communication.

Registry key and values needed:
      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Rpc\Internet]
      "Ports"=hex(7):31,30,30,30,30,2d,31,30,31,30,30,00,00
      "PortsInternetAvailable"="Y"
      "UseInternetPorts"="Y"

The ports entry shown here is 10000-10100/tcp but you can set it to what
you want.

I would also suggest using a static NAT for the internal side of the Web
Server for this type of communication.

Your ruleset would then look something like

Source      Destination Service
Web Server   SQL Server   1433/tcp (default SQL tcp port)
                          135/tcp (RPC port)
                          10000-10100/tcp (your DCOM port range)

SQL Server   Web Server   135/tcp (RPC port)
                          10000-10100/tcp (your DCOM port range)

Regards,

Ken...

hi,

look at the drops between your web-server and the sql-server and open the
required ports.

cheers
reinhard