Re: [FW-1] Intel hardware for Firewall

We have had an Intel box running SecurePlatform for nearly a year now.
Rock solid, no restarts necessary.  And, given your UNIX experience, a
familiar OS.
This box is running on a remote site with a VPN from HQ, so no worries
there.
It is running NG FP2, but a couple of months ago we installed FP3 on
another remote site, similar hardware.
It runs OK, but when new it insisted on booting maintenance mode, which I
never really got to the bottom of!  Ideas, anyone?

The hardware platform is a proper server - IBM x335 so not a cheap desktop!
But still, I guess, cheaper than an equivalent Sun.

HTH

Julian Burton

|---------+-------------------------------------------->
|         |           Ramakrishnan Pillai              |
|         |           <[email protected]>   |
|         |           Sent by: Mailing list for        |
|         |           discussion of Firewall-1         |
|         |           <[email protected]|
|         |           KPOINT.COM>                      |
|         |                                            |
|         |                                            |
|         |           10/10/2003 19:08                 |
|         |           Please respond to Mailing list   |
|         |           for discussion of Firewall-1     |
|         |                                            |
|---------+-------------------------------------------->
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                           |
  |       To:       [email protected]                                                                |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                 |
  |       Subject:  [FW-1] Intel hardware for Firewall                                                                        |
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hi,

We had been using Solaris /Sun boxes for firewall and they have been
proven to be reliable and solid.  But considering the cost/performance
benifits,  Intel boxes seems to be way ahead.  I would like to have your
opinion on the reliability of Checkpoint Firewall on Intel box, from
those who have deployed them already.

Advance Thanks,
Ramakrishnan

This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet.

Zenith Insurance Management Limited    Registered No. 3805632
Registered @ Zenith House, Market Place, Haywards Heath,
West Sus, RH16 1DB.

NOTICE:
the [email protected] and delete the message
and any attachments accompanying it immediately.