Re: [FW-1] Local webserver is NOT accessable from local clients u sing extern al IP

After some reading and research, I found the fix and was able to
better understand the problem.

Environment: 192.168.x.x network with a Webserver. Checkpoint 4.1 SP2
Windows NT4 SP6. The firewall NAT's a public IP to the internal IP of
the webserver. The ISP's DNS has a record for the public address and
all internal clients are using the ISP's external DNS.

The Problem: When an internal client goes to www.myserver.org, the
ISP's dns resolves this to the external IP address. Routing takes this
packet back to the firewall where, After my Nat rule is
applied(ANY,WEB-EXT,HTTP = ORIG,WEB-INT, ORIGINAL), ONLY the packet
DESTINATION is translated to the internal IP of the webserver. The
SOURCE (which is the internal IP of the client) never gets translated.
When the webserver sends it's reply, it's destination address is the
internal IP of the client and the source of is the internal IP of the
webserver. Since the client is expecting a reply from the external IP
of the webserver, the packet is ignored bt the client machine who sent
the original request for the webpage.

Solution: The problem can be fixed by using split-horizon DNS as you
suggested or Dual NAT(translating both the source and destination of
the packet). The idea is to hide the source address behind the
firewall's IP and modify the destination IP to the internal webserver
address. RULE:
INTERNAL-NET,WEB-EXT,HTTP = FIREWALL(HIDDEN),WEB-INT,HTTP

Antonio Valles
Department of Information Technology
East Coast Migrant Head Start Project