[FW-1] AW: [FW-1] AW: [FW-1] Stonebeat Sync Problems

  • To: [email protected]
  • Subject: [FW-1] AW: [FW-1] AW: [FW-1] Stonebeat Sync Problems
  • From: "Vogel, Jochen" <[email protected]>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 18:47:50 +0200
  • Sender: Mailing list for discussion of Firewall-1 <[email protected]>

Hi,

here is the nice answer from stonebeat

FullCluster can be used with firewalls that do not have any state sync mechanism as well as with those firewalls, that have state sync mechanism.
Even if firewall has a state sync mechanism, there can be reasons why that mechanism can not be used. During upgrade, when nodes have different versions from firewall software, state sync can crash the system. Some memory structure problems are more easily seen when state information is synced. A bug or limitation in the firewall software can prevent using sync in some platforms or in the case of some special kind of traffic.

FullCluster has been designed in a way that it does not need state sync during normal operation. Instead of trusting that state sync fixes problems with asymmetry, connections are handled symmetrically. The role of state sync is only to support fail-over of connections when there is a need to move connections between nodes. If state sync can not be used, then existing connections are lost in such situation.

State sync is a FW-1 feature, that has been in FW-1 for a long time. Currently it is located and configured under ClusterXL settings, even when using state sync does not need any clusterXL license or actual clusterXL functionality. When some FW-1 version is tested with FullCluster, it does not mean that this specific FW-1 version is claimed to be free from limitations and bugs. It is tested that FullCluster does not prevent the firewall version from operating at the level that FW-1 version operates. Installing FullCluster does not remove any limitations that FW-1 version might have.

today i upgraded all checkpoints to NG AI.
it seems to be working fine.

regards
jo