Re: [FW-1] DNS and Check Point Firewall-1 on Nokia device

Yeppers, the resolution of internal host works really fast with response times
below 1ms.

The DNS (bind9) is running on a Linux kernel 2.4.x machine. The bind is an
internal DNS doing forwarding to an external one.

I even started the bind in debug level 9 but didn't get a real huge list with
some timeouts. So I guess packets got drop at the firewall.

When digging the external DNS directly, everything's just fine.

External DNS is reachable.

Thanks,
Sebastian

On Wednesday 10 September 2003 15:52, Jim Laverty wrote:
> I'm assuming your DNS response time for internal servers/clients are fine.
>
> What O/S is the DNS server running on?  Are you running bind internally or
> some other DNS server?
>
> Have you run nslookup or dig in debug mode to see what the the client DNS
> request is actually doing?
>
> Are you allowing external DNS responses through the firewall?
>
> Can the internal DNS reach the IP address (e.g. not using a host name) of
> the external DNS server?

> straightLiners IT Security Team
> Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 8:32 AM
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: [FW-1] DNS and Check Point Firewall-1 on Nokia device
>

> Hello !
>
> I encounter the problem, that DNS resolution doesn't work out properly.
>
> When a clients asks the internal DNS to resolve a host's name it takes
> seriously long resulting in a time-out. The internal DNS forwards the
> request to a specific external DNS server but obviously gets no answer.
> Instead its digging recursively a series of unknown DNS server. After about
> half a minute everything's fine and the host will resolve within  a few ms.
>
> When digging the external DNS directly everything's within normal response
> times.
>
> I did a test setup at home using the same configuration files and
> everything's working out just fine.
>
> The firewall is a hardware device from Nokia running Check Point
> Firewall-1.
>
> Does anyone know that problem? Which ACLs work out fine and are secure,
> still? Any other ideas?

- --
- - IT Security Team -

straightLiners IT Consulting & Services
Sebastian Schneider
Metzer Str. 12
13595 Berlin
Germany

Phone: +49-30-3510-6168
Fax: +49-30-3510-6169

Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder
diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte
sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte
Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht
gestattet.

This E-Mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this E-Mail
in error please notify the sender immediately and destroy this E-Mail.
Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material
in this E-Mail is strictly forbidden.