Re: [FW-1] Hiding NAT with Proxy ARP

  • To: [email protected]
  • Subject: Re: [FW-1] Hiding NAT with Proxy ARP
  • From: "Laidlaw, Rob" <[email protected]>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 21:09:53 -0500
  • Sender: Mailing list for discussion of Firewall-1 <[email protected]>

I have this setup and I actually like it better.  I have a firewall with a private address on both internal and external, the external has a /30.  I then have a black hole route on the firewall for the public subnet that we use for our nats.  I have redistributed that public route into our OSPF domain.  With this setup there is no need for any type of proxy arps.  The only requirement is to make sure that the network devices in front of the firewall all have a route for that subnet pointing toward the firewall.

I like this setup better because it removes the problems associated with arp timeouts and setting up the proxy arps.  I find it just as secure if not more so because everything gets handled at layer 3 on the external side.
As far as ip's that have not been defined, they get dropped by the cleanup rule in checkpoint, and even if they didn't, the route to /dev/null drops them anyway.  I also have used this setup with my pix and a Linux firewall running iptables and it works great on those platforms as well.

Rob Laidlaw
Senior Network Engineer
EnvestnetPMC