Re: [FW-1] Block outgoing http on NG FP3

as the guys have suggested - set allow rules above your blocks to allow MS
update and AV ( I know symantec use specific IPs and ports)... I cant see
any harm in allowing port 80 to MS.. depends on how far you take things.

I would however not recommend allowing users to update themselves from the
internet. You should always evaluate all patches in a test environment...
how would you feel if you put a patch on that messed up your main business
application and the only solution was a rebuild?

as Wayne suggested.... set up something like SUS to deal with windows
update internally... much safer.

BR

Robert Rutherford
+44 (0)1305 208232
+44 (0)7970 122362

|---------+-------------------------------------------->
|         |           "Brown, Jim"                     |
|         |           <[email protected]>        |
|         |           Sent by: Mailing list for        |
|         |           discussion of Firewall-1         |
|         |           <[email protected]|
|         |           KPOINT.COM>                      |
|         |                                            |
|         |                                            |
|         |           17/08/2003 15:26                 |
|         |           Please respond to Mailing list   |
|         |           for discussion of Firewall-1     |
|         |                                            |
|---------+-------------------------------------------->
  |       To:       [email protected]                                   |
  |       cc:                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  Re: [FW-1] Block outgoing http on NG FP3                                     |

Define a URI resource based on the URL name and define a rule only
allowing HTTP access to the URL in question.

You can even use wildcards for the acceptable url like *.nai.com or
*.microsoft.com or windowsupdate.microsoft.com