[FW-1] SecuRemote "communication with gateway failed"

  • To: [email protected]
  • Subject: [FW-1] SecuRemote "communication with gateway failed"
  • From: Hal Dorsman <[email protected]>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 09:05:38 -0600
  • Sender: Mailing list for discussion of Firewall-1 <[email protected]>

I am attempting to get SecuRemote NG FP3 (build 53515)
working with NG FP3 firewall.  I have the VPN license installed,
but get Error: Communication with gateway x.x.x.x at site x.x.x.x failed.
I checked phoneboys site http://www.phoneboy.com/fom-serve/cache/173.html
and went through this list and seem to have everything done correctly, except
for maybe the license being attached to the external IP.  Under a previous
4.1 system I worked with, the license had to be on the external, but at this
new site, the license was on the internal IP, and I was under the understanding
that this was an acceptable option under NG.  I am routing fine to the gateway
and see FW1_topo accepted, and IKE negotiations accepted. I tried both
Simplified and Tradtional mode, and putting authentication rules in the rulebase
like the old way (worked under 4.1).  I tried different authentication (pre-shared
secret and hybrid mode), IKE over TCP, and DES/3DES encryption.  Nothing
seems to change the error.  I had all this working once under 4.1, and I thought
they were supposed to have made this easier with NG.  I am really hoping
someone can point out the simple/stupid thing I may be overlooking.

Thanks,

Hal

Hal Dorsman
Network Administrator