From: Raymond N [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Friday, August 01, 2003 10:49 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [FW-1] Two ISPs

First of all, you should think the inbound and outbound of the Internet
connection individually. Secondly, in most cases it is okay to have your
inbound traffic coming via the new ISP link, when outbound is via the old
ISP link, during the migration period.

When your inbound traffic would be via the new ISP is based on when your new
ISP starts to advertize your /24, and when your old ISP stop advertizes your
/24.  And it is okay that in a short period of time both of them are
advertizing your /24.

For outbound, I would set the default route using my new ISP link, if the
link is up now.  As stated, it is okay to have outbound via your new ISP
while inbound is still on the old link.  The priority setting in Nokia for
the route is useful only if one of the link is down (layer-2), and will do
nothing for any things happening at layer-2 (e.g. route change).

Finally, when your new ISP is advertizing your /24, and you know your old
ISP is not advertizeing the /24, you can shutdown your old ISP link to
finish the migration.

BTW, BGP is good for both fail-over and load-sharing.

-raymond