From: Siddhartha Jain(IT) [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: lundi 28 juillet 2003 11:38
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [FW-1] TCP connection timeout

Hi Navin,

Consider this before you try to increase TCP timeout

Increasing the default TCP timeout can have two repercussions: 1.
Session hijack attack - A session entry is created in Firewall-1 for tcp
connections when two hosts are communicating.  Increasing the TCP
timeout value will allow a attacker to hijack sessions. For this attack
to succeed, the attacker must know the contents of the state table and
should be able to spoof the IP addresses of the session.

Practically, it might be difficult because it requires a very high skill
level and collusion with one of the security staff to gain knowledge of
the state table.

2. Performance/Denial Of Service - Increasing the TCP timeout value will
cause the number of stale sessions in the firewall at any given point of
time to increase. This will increase resource utilization on the
firewall. A large number of stale sessions will cause the firewall
performance to decrease and as the number of connection increase the
increase in TCP timeout may very well turn into a Denial of Service. If
the performance of the firewall degrades it may stop accepting
connections any further leading to disruption of services.

Its better if you set a keep-alive routine in your app rather than do it
in the firewall.

HTH,

Siddhartha Jain
Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
IT Security Administrator
Bank Muscat (www.bankmuscat.com)
Phone: +968-768557