Re: [FW-1] TCP connection timeout

Hi Navin,

Consider this before you try to increase TCP timeout

Increasing the default TCP timeout can have two repercussions:
1. Session hijack attack - A session entry is created in Firewall-1 for tcp
connections when two hosts are communicating.  Increasing the TCP timeout
value will allow a attacker to hijack sessions. For this attack to succeed,
the attacker must know the contents of the state table and should be able to
spoof the IP addresses of the session.

Practically, it might be difficult because it requires a very high skill
level and collusion with one of the security staff to gain knowledge of the
state table.

2. Performance/Denial Of Service - Increasing the TCP timeout value will
cause the number of stale sessions in the firewall at any given point of
time to increase. This will increase resource utilization on the firewall. A
large number of stale sessions will cause the firewall performance to
decrease and as the number of connection increase the increase in TCP
timeout may very well turn into a Denial of Service. If the performance of
the firewall degrades it may stop accepting connections any further leading
to disruption of services.

Its better if you set a keep-alive routine in your app rather than do it in
the firewall.

HTH,

Siddhartha Jain
Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
IT Security Administrator
Bank Muscat (www.bankmuscat.com)
Phone: +968-768557