[FW-1] NC and email bounces

  • To: [email protected]
  • Subject: [FW-1] NC and email bounces
  • From: "Owens, Blaine C - Eastman" <[email protected]>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:49:43 -0400
  • Sender: Mailing list for discussion of Firewall-1 <[email protected]>

We are testing Checkpoint NG as an external firewall and have it configured as a Security Server for email. Regular email flow seems to be working great. Howver, yesterday I puposely sent an email with an attachment which exceeded the maximum message size from an external source to see what kind of bounce message I would get. As you can see (below) the bounce error message I got back is very cryptic and doesn't really give a clue as to why it bounced. Even more puzzling is the fact that my external ISP reported that the bounce was received from an IP address of one of our other production firewalls, not the external IP address of the test Checkpoint firewall.

Is there a secret to make the text of the bounce messages descriptive of what the error was? What is the explanation for the bounce getting sent through one of our other firewalls instead of being delived direcly from Checkpoint to my ISP? When I send an email out through the Checkpoint it is received by the remote end from the external IP of Checkpoint, as expected.