Re: [FW-1] logical server how to

  • To: [email protected]
  • Subject: Re: [FW-1] logical server how to
  • From: "Morhous, John" <[email protected]>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:24:35 -0400
  • Sender: Mailing list for discussion of Firewall-1 <[email protected]>

I'm actually going through this setup right now...

What are you using as a platform? I'm on Nokia IPSO, and Nokia support
told me to disable automatic ARP as IPSO has issues with it when its
setup in Checkpoint. When auto-ARP is off, you'll need to setup proxy
ARP so the FW is able to respond to the IP and do what it needs to.

ICMP isn't going to work when logicals are setup in "other" mode. Found
that out the hard way, and Nokia verified it. Don't know the reason
behind it... ICMP's to my logical return "Destination unreachable" but
protocols like HTTP seem to flow fine. They are stopping at ingress-PRE
on the inspection side.

Now on the NAT side, not sure what the proper setup is there. Both the
logical and real IP's in my setup have public IP's. I've noticed through
tcpdumps that after the initial request and FW proxies to the real IP,
that all subsequent connections go back-forth through the real IP's, so
the FW isn't sitting in the middle of subsequent connections. You NAT
rules may need to change with that information.

I have it working now with HTTP and HTTPS. We're in the process of
testing it with server persistence, and so far its working OK. It is an
extra license, so I'm running in eval mode right now until its verified
in which case then we'll go the purchase route.

-JTM