Re: [FW-1] SMTP Security Server and "550 Mailbox Unavailable" errors

> Date:    Tue, 1 Jul 2003 16:06:33 -0400
> From:    Mark Anderson <[email protected]>
> Subject: SMTP Security Server and "550 Mailbox Unavailable" errors
>
> searches using Google have found that there are others that have apparently
> seen this problem, which is "fixed" by turning off the option that has the
> firewall add a "Received" line to the incoming mail.  Unfortunately, doing
> this makes spam tracking impossible.
>
> However, given the fact that others have posted about this on this mailing
> list, *Checkpoint claims they've never heard about anyone having this
> problem!!!*

HA, HA, HA :-)

We had this problem solved after some months and tons of test mails.

The "fix" with turning off the addition of the "Received" line had
solved our problem not completely and I agree, that the "Received" line
is of some value.

"Our fix" from CP was adding a line to /etc/system (I hope you are using
Solaris) and reboot.

And here is the silver bullet:

set fw:fwx_auth_expiration=120

The default is 30 seconds and we had about 1-2 promille lost mails
before that "fix".
The real source of the problem is still unknown. Our tests have shown,
that the Mailbox unavailable occurs, if the initial prompt of the
SMTP-Security-Server "220 CheckPoint FireWall-1 secure ESMTP server"
has a delay of more then 30secs which sometimes occurs. Nobody
knows the reason for that delay.

We are using this fix for some weeks now. The only (small) problem
is this delay. We use the SMTP-Security-Server also for internal
mails and the users are sometime confused, when their mail-client
hangs some time on sending mail.

hope this helps,
thomas