Re: [FW-1] IP Multicasting Thru FW-1 using MS Media Server

  • To: [email protected]
  • Subject: Re: [FW-1] IP Multicasting Thru FW-1 using MS Media Server
  • From: "James O'Shea" <[email protected]>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 09:36:35 -0400
  • Sender: Mailing list for discussion of Firewall-1 <[email protected]>

I would offer a few things

1) how do the routers/switches on either side of the firewall know to
pass multicast to/through the firewall? You either have statics(?) or
you can run MRouteD on the firewall (supports DVMRP). It also sounds
like perhaps the transit segments on both sides of the firewall are
not multicast-enabled - is it the switch that is unicasting up against
the firewall? That's not a firewall-1 problem.

2) the firewall rule should look like mcastaddress source ->
mcastaddress DST on this particular mcast group's UDP port ACCEPT
where 'mcastaddress source' and 'dst' are the same (224.x.y.z)

3) some multicast addresses are themselves 'broadcast' addresses
within the multicast block - if you pick a bad multicast group for
your app, you should see the broadcast on *any* and *all* switches
that are joined to that group.

-james