From: Firewall Security [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2003 6:41 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [FW-1] [FW1] Sniffer | new firewall rule | help!

This question is a bit off topic, but will be used to build new firewall
rules:

Here's the goal: identify connections to a particular server.  This info
will be used to form access controls and security measures. (aka new
firewall rules)

The info derived is from a weeks worth of sniffer basic logs*, I'm mainly
concerned about:
1. source IP
2. destination IP
3. protocol
4. time
5. packet size

I've used excel to sort the data, but I end up going through 15,000 plus
excel rows trying to find different IPs, there has to be a quicker, more
efficient way. Unfortunately this is time sensitive, so I can't redo
sniffing process.

Ideas?

*sniffer was attached to the same switch, via mirrored port looking for
traffic to this server (by IP)

Muchos Gracias