[FW-1] secure platform small office

  • To: [email protected]
  • Subject: [FW-1] secure platform small office
  • From: Wycliffe Sylvester-Fraser <[email protected]>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 17:46:13 -0000
  • Sender: Mailing list for discussion of Firewall-1 <[email protected]>

Hi i have a small issue with this product, we have 3 interfaces, one to the outside world  x.x.xxxx.90,and two internal ones.

what we are trying to achieve is for smtp traffic to be routed to the internal mail server. the MX record points to xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.91 internal ip 192.168.2.11

we would also like for traffic to and from our dmz to be redirected to our internal net and visa versa. we were given a solution by Checkpoint but this doesn't work. the solution is shown below. does anyone know of or have documentation on VPN1/SmallOffice that i can have or know whether the solution below can only work once a policy has been pulled

Many thanks in advanced.

Wycliffe.

Abstract:       NAT & ARP on Secure Platform

Dear Wycliffe,

Here is a solution for you issue.

   Fact   Firewall-1 NG

    Fact   VPN-1 NG

    Fact   Secure Platform

    Fact   Red Hat

    Fact   Linux

    Fact   Network Address Translation (NAT)

    Fact   proxy ARP

    Fact   Automatic ARP

    Symptom   Automatic ARP does not work on Linux

Click here to learn more about Automatic ARP.

    Cause   Linux kernel 2.x will not proxy ARP for an IP address for which
it does not have a route. (It is a security feature of the OS.)

    Fix   The NG Automatic ARP feature is not supported on Linux platforms.

Workaround:

These steps are applicable to Linux kernel version 2.x, including Check
Point's Secure Platform.

1) Configure the Linux kernel to enable proxy arp using the following
command:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/<if_name>/proxy_arp

...where <if_name> is the name of the external interface, for example: eth0
This command should be added to one of the startup scripts, such as
rc.local, in order to survive a reboot.

2) Add a host route for the Static NAT ip address using the internal ip
address of the host (or next hop) as the gateway:

route add -host <Static_NAT_ip_addr> gateway <internal_ip_addr>

This should also be added to a startup script, or in the case of
Secure Platform, a permanent route can be added using the sysconfig utility.

3) The above 2 steps should be sufficient to enable proxy arp to function
for your Static NAT configuration, since the linux kernel is designed to be
intelligent enough to proxy arp for ip addresses in its routing table.
However, if it becomes necessary to add a proxy arp entry, use the following
command:

arp -s <Static_NAT_ip_addr> <FireWall_external_MAC_addr> pub