Re: [FW-1] Alternatives to FW-1?

Or other session layer kind of stuff that Check Point can do, but
lots of other software does not?

I guess I'm not sure of the limitation of the hardware devices, thus the query.

What VPN protocols are we talking about? IPsec, an open standard that
is going to be pretty much the same for everyone, or something else?

IPSec is what I'm using. I suppose I can use whatever I want if I change both ends and the HW device uses whatever...

Not sure what you mean by "submets/routed nets" at the ends. How that
would be handled would also depend on which VPN technology you are
using.

I read some obscure message that a hardware VPN device can only handle it's local IP range.

Example: PUBIP [VPNHardware] INTernalIP [Router] RoutedNet

in which case the "RoutedNet" is not located in the INTernal IP domain
range, therefore outside of the VPNHardware's knowledge of networks...

Generally speaking, if you don't need the bells and whistles that
come with Check Point, you are probably better off not using it.

Yep, that's why I'm asking the experts.

Do the T1 ends really go straight to the Check Point boxes? Or is

Right from the ISP's managed router (to a hub) to my CP box.

If you just need a VPN and
some simple firewalling, can those devices do it?

I'm going to need multiple tunnels to multiple sites, and access thru the hardware for general internet use (non-vpn). I know how to do this with rules in CP, not sure how to handle with my limited knowledge of hardware devices...

Thanks,
Vic

_________________________________________________________________ Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail