Re: [FW-1] Office mode with SecuRemote

  • To: [email protected]
  • Subject: Re: [FW-1] Office mode with SecuRemote
  • From: Robin Frousheger <[email protected]>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 13:05:48 +1100
  • Sender: Mailing list for discussion of Firewall-1 <[email protected]>

No problems Michel.

IP Pool NAT and Office Mode IP Pool are complementary, and are again for slightly different purposes.

As I understand it, IP Pool NAT facilitates "Multiple Entry Point" configurations where you may have several FW-1 gateways around the perimeter of you LAN/WAN.  Each firewall will allocate from its own IP pool, and thus internal routing can reliably direct traffic back to the correct entry point (As opposed to trying to partition entry points and routes based on the original external IP address)

Office Mode overcomes the potential duplicate client side networks as discussed before.

IP Pool NAT operates *after* Office Mode, meaning when you are using Pool NAT and OM, the final IP seen inside the network will be the Pool NAT one.

To support Pool NAT and Office Mode, you need one IP Pool per gateway for Pool NAT and 1 pool for all Office Mode (Assuming DHCP allocation is used)

Pro's/Con's - Office Mode is only supported by SecureClient in Connect Mode. If you are in a MEP environment, you are probably already using IP Pool NAT, and will probably continue to need to.  If you are only using IP Pool NAT on a single gateway, you should be able to change to Office Mode and cease Pool NAT and still achieve the same net effect.

Regards,
Robin

---